NBA All Star Baron Davis, life as a Venture Capitalist, learning from Kobe Bryant, David Stern
Entrepreneur, investor, and two-time NBA All-Star and record-holder, over a thirteen-year career, Baron Davis played for the Charlotte Hornets, the Golden State Warriors, the Los Angeles Clippers, the Cleveland Cavaliers, and the New York Knicks. Known for his electrifying style on the court, Davis was a powerful point guard, who won national acclaim for executing in crucial, high-pressure moments, when his team needed him the most. As a businessman, Baron was one of the original investors for Vitaminwater and helped launch Thrive Market.
Baron is also the founder of several companies, including Sports and Lifestyle in Culture (SLIC), The Black Santa Company, BIG and No Label—each with the objective of combining creative talent with original publication and production to develop and provide educational and heartwarming stories that appeal to global audiences of all ages.
You can find details about Baron Davis at http://www.barondavisenterprises.com/
Here are the details about She-VC Questions:
She-VC: NBA All Star Baron Davis, life as a Venture Capitalist, learning from Kobe Bryant, David Stern and playing against Michael Jordan, Shaquille O'Neal
1. Please talk about your hugely successful NBA All Star BIG Summit and what is your motivation behind such a platform?
2. VC is a very hard industry to prepare for. There is no MBA or coursework that prepares you for early stage or late stage investing. Your journey as a VC/investor during and after NBA All Star career. What prepared you in your life you to be an investor? (Talk about how you started)
3. What is your investment thesis and tell us some of the successful companies you invested and exited (if any). What kind of market opportunities and future trends in tech that excites you as a VC.
4. Recently we saw the passing away of Black Mamba and David Stern. Both of them are prolific investors beside having a flourishing NBA career as a former player and commissioner. Have they given you any tips in your career as an investor or what have you learnt from their investment style?
5. As we VCs say software is eating every vertical, you are seeing deep tech investors like me investing in sports. How do you see sports investment is changing in the last few decades as tech is eating sports vertical. Your view of “ Rise of sports industry as an asset class to invest.”
6. You are a two-time NBA All Star. You have played with many prolific NBA legends. Who is that player(s) who had made you starry eyed on court?